6/01/2007

Children's Day!

1st June is Children's Day which is, if I understood correctly, the day the 少先队was established and on this day the primary school children celebrate it's establishment and would enter the the so-called party. (I hope I have understood 校长or小王叔叔correctly.) Anyhow, the teachers of 信心小学took great effort to come up with a Children's Day celebration at a nearby University to allow the students an opportunity to perform and have fun. Evidently, they did have fun (the whole place was pretty chaotic) and the tired ones were the teachers. After the concert, 校长looked at me, gave a sigh of relief and said, '感谢主!' Which was really, what all that mattered. :)



Evidently Children's Day








红领巾which is the red tie we're wearing. The students tied it for me as a way of thanking the teachers. Red represents the blood split in order to establish the Communist Party.














Primary 5 girls presenting a dance item.









Haha, I thought it was really funny how the kids got bored while waiting for the bus and simply whipped out a chess set and started playing, like those usual groups of old men playing chess on the streets.






This is Feifei, thinking that he's a fowl of some sort. (He was doing this while being totally unaware that someone was taking his photo. ;p)











It was an eye-opening experience, (especially when they had this whole procession in front, with the saluting and red flags) and it just made me love China more. Reminded me of this Chinese New Year programme that they show on CCTV every year. Last year they had this bunch of migrant kids reciting a poem about how their parents are contributing to the society through hard labour and how the migrant kids are not as well-off as the city kids and hence have less opportunities. Most of the audience cried during the performance and I simply brushed it off as them being melodramatic or some odd Chinese sentiment I didn't understand. But having this experience and seeing how difficult it is to run a school for such children and how they have much less privilege really made me appreciate all these.

No comments: