5/16/2007

He's gone home

Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. We live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. - 2 Corinthians 5:6-8

Joel's grandpa just passed away a few days ago, and somehow it's a comforting thought to know that he has gone home with the Lord after battling a deteriorating body and mind. The first time I visited him in the hospital was right after I came back from Mongolia, which makes it about a year since then. I did tell him I hope to see him before I come back, but... oh well. It is indeed such joy to know that we have a place to look forward at the end of this life, it's hard to let go, yes. But there is still so much more in store for us.

My niece who was just 13 years old, passed away a few weeks ago, very much to my atonishment. She was taken over by a bout of high fever, then quickly went into a brain-dead condition. After which her mother decided on euthanasia, and that was that, all in a short span of 2 weeks. It was such devastating news, for it simply shows that life is unpredictable, a fact we all know but often forget. Even more devastating to know that she had yet to know God. Hence in plain words, no place in heaven. The choice to believe is simple yet tough, and then comes the consequences we must all accept.